It’s kind of dangerous to use the sometimes-dreaded word “WORKOUT.” Do you begin to imagine hours of heavy weight-lifting, miles of fast running, or lengthy fitness classes?
Whatever you call it, “moving” is really the heart of working out. Everyone can benefit from it. Our bodies were made to move, to stretch, to bear weight, and to take us places. The word “workout” might have a lot of negative connotations, but actually anyone can enjoy exercise!
Here is a collection of tips on how to add more exercise into your life, and to make your workout time all the more beneficial with the addition of essential oils and supplements!
Benefits of Exercise
- Did you know that exercise has been proven to be the most effective treatment for lower back pain? A study1 was released in early 2016 which analyzed the results of numerous other studies to determine that exercise is more effective than many other treatments. According to one article about the study, “It didn’t really matter what kind of exercise — core strengthening, aerobic exercise, or flexibility and stretching.”2
- Did you know that simply walking 30 minutes a day can slash your risk of at least 6 major disease categories? Read the whole article here!
Dealing with Exercise Pain & Soreness
- Before or after exercise, gently massage your muscles with OrthoSport™ massage oil. It contains even more essential oils than OrthoEase™ and is a favorite for easing pain related to exercise. (Note: OrthoSport is free with your qualifying order in September!)
- Try Cool Azul Pain Relief Cream™, Cool Azul Sports Gel™, or PanAway™ Essential Oil Blend* oil (*Free with qualifying September orders.)
- “This week I must have been too ambitious with my exercise and had a sore wrist and shoulder. I was feeling sore while doing my work on the computer. I applied Wintergreen oil (first), then Copaiba (which amplifies the effects of other essential oils), then OrthoSport Massage Oil. I soon felt much better and was able to work in comfort.” — Lisa (Wintergreen is also a free promo with September orders!)
- Try Sulfurzyme™ and AgilEase™, which is a “joint health supplement that’s perfect for healthy individuals who are looking to gain greater mobility and flexibility through the reduction of inflammation.”
- “After going downhill skiing for the first time, I was understandably sore. My knees were particularly painful after several falls on the mountain. Before bed I applied Idaho Blue Spruce, Copaiba, and Peppermint to my knees (peppermint last as it drives the other oils deeper into the cells). I woke up without exercise pain and was amazed at how it greatly reduced soreness.” —LS
Energizing Your Routine
Before your workout (whatever that means to you), do this simple routine to prepare your body for a successful time!
- Hydrate! Drink pure water throughout the day before you plan to exercise.
- Have 1-2 oz. of NingXia Red®.
- Use essential oils:
- Lemongrass: You could take 4-6 drops of Lemongrass Vitality™ oil in a capsule. “Lemongrass essential oil contains high levels of citral, a compound that may support thermogenic activity in the body when consumed.”
- Peppermint: Apply a drop under your nose or take a drop of Peppermint Vitality™ in a cup of water to promote better performance (or mix it into your NingXia Red!).One study, published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, showed that peppermint essential oil increases performance and endurance. Doug Dupont, referencing the study, notes that peppermint oil, (taken in water before exercise) “improved exercise performance, respiratory function, blood pressure, heart rate, and respiratory gas exchange. It also reduced resting blood pressure and heart rate. The amount of total work performed by the test subjects was increased by a whopping 51%, including an increase in the time to exhaustion of about 25%.”3
- RC™, PanAway™, Thieves®, Melaleuca alternifolia, and more are favorite oils for exercise! Check out some athlete favorites here.
- Valor™ or Valor II&trade:
Some basketball players have found that when they use Valor on their ankles it helps them jump higher during games.
- Supplement with Pure Protein Complete™, because it provides several different types of protein (i.e. not just from a single source like whey or legumes). Read more about Pure Protein Complete.
If “just doing it” is your biggest struggle, then read about a famous athlete who couldn’t even run a short race just a few years ago!
Other Ways to Enhance Your Exercise
- Men’s favorite: AromaGurd Meadow Mist Deodorant™. Great for warm late-summer days, it provides health benefits and is chemical free!
What are your favorite ways to make your workout even more beneficial by using essential oils? Share your comments below!
1. Steffens, D. Prevention of Low Back Pain: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176(2):199-208. Available here. Accessed September 9, 2016.
2. James, R. Forget The Gizmos: Exercise Works Best For Lower-Back Pain. Shots Health News from NPR. 11 January 2016. Available here. Accessed September 9, 2016.
3. Meamarbashi, A. and Rajabi, A. The effects of peppermint on exercise performance. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 2013, Volume 10, Number 1, Page 1. Available here. Accessed September 9, 2016.
4. Dupont, D. The Surprising and Substantial Effects of Peppermint on Exercise. Breaking Muscle. Available here. Accessed September 9, 2016.
Essential Oils and Exercise: Pre-Workout. Young Living Blog. Available here. Accessed September 9, 2016.
Cardio Training Tips for the New Year. Young Living Blog. 16 January 2016. Available here. Accessed September 9, 2016.
Brand Ambassadors. Young Living. Available here. Accessed September 9, 2016.