So many of our friends & group members are having babies right now! (Hooray!)
Here are a few tidbits from one of the 2015 Young Living Convention sessions. Kathryn Kehoe is a new mom who shared with us about using oils during pregnancy, labor, and afterwards with infants. Here are just a few of the baby tips she shared:
- We are encouraged to check with the baby’s medical provider regarding EO usage.
- Dilution is very important when using EOs with babies! 1:20 is a good starting ratio (1 drop essential oil to 20 drops carrier oil like coconut, grapeseed, or jojoba) but use more carrier if in doubt.
- Ways to use oils with babies: diffusing, infant massage, or by placing a small drop on their blankets.
- Remember that a baby’s sense of smell is much stronger than ours. Choose gentle scents.
- Favorite oils for babies are Gentle Baby™, Peace & Calming II™, Lavender, Ylang Ylang (diffused), and Purification (diffused). (Editor’s note: For little ones we also like frankincense, melaleuca and the KidScents Oils)
- It’s handy to mix up pre-diluted oils for easy use! You could mix your EOs with organic coconut oil and keep in small jars (or V-6 oil for roller bottles).
- Test diluted oils on the baby before using a full dose, perhaps on the back of their leg. Avoid using oils on their hands because they might ingest the oils used there.
- Kathryn’s favorite bedtime diffuser recipe: Layer oils into diffuser in this order: 2 drops orange, 2 drops tangerine, 2 drops lavender, 1 drop Gentle Baby™. She likes this both for herself and her baby boy Henry!
- Editor’s note: At a session about the brain by Dr. Tom Reed we learned about all the development that happens when a child is in the womb and when they are young children. Using chemical-free products in your home to limit toxic chemical exposure is especially vital during pregnancy and when you have little children.
Have you used oils for your baby? Let us know your favorite ones these days! Let us know in the comments.